FACULTY OF LAW, UNIVERSITY OF BENIN
Resolutions of the Postgraduate Committee on May 11, 2021
To address issues raised on the quality of PG students’ projects and theses, the Committee made the following resolutions:
- Literature Review Chapter in LL.M Projects: It is compulsory for all LL.M projects to contain a Literature Review in Chapter Two.
- Synopsis and Thesis Review Committee: A committee has been constituted to review the synopses and theses of PhD candidates. Specifically, the Committee is expected to:
- Examine a PhD candidate’s synopsis and thesis through peer review and make a final determination of its acceptability.
- Produce a report based on the review (with recommendations) for the improvement of the structure of the thesis, in accordance with the Faculty’s policies.
- Professional Editing of PhD Theses : PhD candidates should (at their own cost), have their theses proofread by a professional editor approved by the Faculty.
- Internal Defence by PhD Candidates: Prior to a PhD candidate’s external defence, (s)he is expected to defend his/her thesis internally – that is, before members of the PG Committee.
- Requirement of Separate Letter of Certification by Supervisors: In addition to signing the Certification Page in a candidate’s thesis, supervisors should sign a Letter of Certification stating that they have approved the thesis for submission.
- Page Limit of Seminar Papers: PhD seminar papers must be between 60-80 pages (that is, a minimum of 60 pages and maximum of 80 pages) – Times New Roman size 12; with 1.5 spacing.